At the September 21st meeting, after the Apex presentation, the meeting turned to comments and questions from the audience. We captured these a brief synopsis of each comment on large easel pads of paper at the front of the room, which are categorized and listed below.
- Disrespecting Lamp House view from pedestrian level –Lamp House needs to be mid-block
- Lamp House designed to be in the middle of the block.
- Lamp House a visitor center? / (House Museum) / (Guest House)
- Site of Lamp House important – Privacy & light / Integrity – views are important
- Lamp House: would you restore the house or leave it as is?
- Lamp House as nationally important destination / vision .
Scale / Massing / Siting
- 2nd idea of large building being too large
- Towers in other cities are wind tunnels / need more forward-looking design
- Scale: Why not scale down? Why so many apartments in the area. Much retail has failed.
- Step down to E Mifflin from E. Washington .
- Explored central, taller tower on the ramp
- Parking ramp is hideous. May block some views but capital pt did too.
- Do both projects? Apex owns the land
- Look at houses marked for demo/relocation
- Do we need more housing downtown
- Why not rehab houses?
- Preserve old houses around Lamp House
- Restore historic houses.
- maintain historic houses
- Property values of neighbors in Capitol Point – Lake view eliminated in option 4 – it is a leviathan.
- Does Apex own the whole block?
- How long has Apex owned the Mifflin Street houses? (8 – 10 years) / (Kehl connection)
The Neighborhood context –
- Historic neighborhood –
- I value neighborhood
- Rentals vs owner occupied units
- Occupants? Lots of empty housing downtown
- Light-weight construction and means poor sound proofing – low quality units
- Q: Option 1, 2, 3, 4 only
- Parking need? Two cars per unit
- Parking spaces for rentals?
Other Apex Properties
- Do you own 314 E. Mifflin? Drunk construction workers.
- Are you in negotiation with other owners? Whole block play?
- Vision, be open-mionded
- Pipe dream: Walkway over Webster, park on top of parking ramp – engage children in the neighborhood.
- Bus route, especially when on outer ring. Have you talked to T.E. ?
- Are you looking for TIF funding?
- People without computers?